My deepest desire as a mom and a naturopath is to help my children develop healthy habits that will impact them for a lifetime.
The best thing you can do for your child's health is model the behaviours you want to see in them!
Here are a few simple ways you can integrate healthy habits in your family's routine:
1. Sit down and eat dinner as a family. Engage them in meal prep. Eat a wide variety of foods and show them how fun it can be to try different flavours.
2. Take your vitamins in the morning as a family. Show them how you take your fish oils and vitamin D drops. Do it together.
3. Meditate and practice mindfulness as a family. Teach your child how to take deep breaths and let them watch you do it when you are stressed and angry. Take a mutual “calm down time” together.
4. Set screen time limits for yourself and your kids. Interact with them without your phone nearby so they can see that you also take screen breaks.
5. Exercise as a family. Go for walks, play outside or rough house indoors. Let them see you moving your body in a fun way. Most likely they will want to join in.
6. Practice emotional resilience and self regulation. Explain to your children your emotions including anger and sadness. Help them to understand their own.
Any other ideas for how we can model healthy habits to our children? I’d love to hear your strategies!
Dr. Melissa Bingeman, ND is passionate about mental health, hormones and gut health. She has a virtual and in-person practice in Kitchener, Ontario.